Wednesday 2 February 2011

Maidens Garlands


I am at the research and development stage of a new body of work which is inspired by the maidens garlands at Old St Stephens Church, Fylingdales in North Yorkshire. The church which was built in 1822 stands on a hillside overlooking Robin Hoods Bay.
Maidens garlands, which are very rare, were carried in the funeral procession of a maiden.
I will be showing my responses to the maidens garlands over the August Bank Holiday weekend 2011.
I will document the process through a new blog "Memento Mori" at http://mandypattullo.blogspot.com. I will also use this blog to archive other work I've done on these themes. Don't look just yet though as I haven't had time to put anything on it!

Here is the beautiful church . Read more about it at www.visitchurchesorg.uk



Here are the 4 maidens garlands which are housed in a locked atrium within the church


More detailed views showing the ribbons hanging down




More information on the garlands and the pieces I am working on coming soon

2 comments:

  1. I find this absolutely fascinating. I have never heard of this custom and will now have to find out more! This has really captured my imagination and interest and I shall follow this work on your other blog when it is up and running. Lesley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great blog, I stumbled across the history of Maidens Garlands a couple of years ago as inspiration for my University degree work and have since gone onto make a range of contemporary jewellery.
    https://www.facebook.com/emmaturpinjewellery
    I have been interested in this folk craft since then. Good luck and I will definitely follow your blog.

    ReplyDelete